Friday, February 23, 2007

Miracle Tree

My heart was torn apart when I learned about the "tree" on Ismalia Road, which had turned into a site for pilgrimage. I couldn't believe that people have become that desperate that they seek the blessing of a tree: T.R.E.E! How is it possible that people have become that delusional? What kind of pressure can possibly cause them to lose their minds and degrade themselves till that extent? Have people become that gullible? Have their brains been switched to believe in superstitions instead of logic and common sense? Have they become that helpless that they are only waiting for miracles? Have they decided to quit working on changing their lives and solving their problems?
Is it because the sick can not afford to buy medicine or receive health care at a public hospital? Is it because the poor has found it so hopeless to realise their humanity? Is it because they can not afford the basic essentials of life? Is it because they can't get private teachers for their children? Is it because they are not allowed the leisure of dreaming?
Is it because of injustice? Is it because of corruption? Is it because of cruelty? Is it because of ignorance? Is it because of indifference? Is it because of oppression?
Or, is it because of the insanity we're living in?

Anyway, I found myself writing those lines, imagining one of the tree visitors:

Oh, Holy Tree!
Shower your blessings upon me.
For I have traveled a long way,
And I have a prayer to say.

Oh, Holy Tree!
Give me the strength to see
That there is still tomorrow,
Without any more sorrow.

Oh, Holy Tree!
Let me find the secret key
To open closed doors,
And break down walls.

Oh, Holy Tree!
I need a miracle, immediately,
To cure my only son,
Make him able again to run

Oh, Holy Tree!
He's all that matters to me.
We only need a strike of fate
To find a bed before it's late.

Oh, Holy Tree!
I became so weary.
Fear grows as fast as the pain,
And with them hope does wane.

Oh, Holy Tree!
Listen to my helpless plea.
Work your wonder quick
To save the poor and sick.

Oh, Holy Tree!
Have some mercy.
We believe in your powers,
Please, don't let us down like others.

10 comments:

Ma 3lina said...

Is it because of ignorance?

i think this is the reason , i was listening to nogoom fm when they talked about that matter

i was really shocked of what happen coz we r in the 21 century or 22 ?? dunn remember

still people still believe in superstitious it's unbelievable

amazing article as usual nd the poem is wonderful

egy anatomist said...

أولا سلامة قلبك يا ست أم لوجي .. ثانيا اسئلتك هي كلها إجابات بترصد الأسباب باقتدار ودقة .. ثالثا البشر طول عمرهم بيستسهلوا وبيدوروا على أي حلول سريعة مريحة (مش مهم تكون حقيقية أو لأ المهم انهم يصدقوها وخلاص) احنا بس اليومين دول متفوقين علي نفسينا أوي ما شاء الله .. رابعا : قصيدة مؤثرة أهنيكي عليها ..

Fadfadation said...

You ought to see what some of the Sufis say... dayaaaaaaaaa3!

El gahl shyyy2 bashe3!

Om Luji said...

ma-3lina:

Thanks for your sweet compliment. Glad you liked the article and the poem.
I share with you the belief that ignorance is the main reason why people become so vulnerable. It is so sad to see how many Egyptians (and people in the third world in general) still believe in superstitions. They may even be friends or relatives who try to convince you that such things are for real.

Om Luji said...

Salama Moussa:
Allah yesalem 7adretak. Thanks for what you said about the poem (I don't consider it a poem really, but rhyming prose).
You mentioned a very important point: that nowadays it seems people are more desperate than ever. I think this is because of the environment which encourages them to move backwards in time instead of moving forward and trying to catch up with the modern world.
Thanks for bringing that up to attention.

Om Luji said...

fadfadation:
I don't know what some Sufis say. How bad can it be?
I believe ignorance is the worst thing in the world, especially nowadays when the gap is huge between us and the first world.

Fadfadation said...

Sufis...laa they are many sects of groups. I'll one day (hopefully) write about what i know (not that it is much).

3ala fekra fyh naas minena zay el fol! we are not that far behind the 1st world countries when it comes to work and professionalism.

I want to tell you something... Egyptians or arabs working in International companies are GAMDEEEN mooot.

I think the problem is in the Management mentality we have in our countries (min 2awel el selem lee 7ad ta7t, you know who i mean tab3an).

Waleed said...

I took a 360-degree photo and recorded sound-bytes of the miracle tree:
http://www.madeena360.com/01/miracletree.html

Waleed said...

Oops, here's a clickable link:
http://www.madeena360.com/01/miracletree.html

Om Luji said...

Waleed:
Wow! Thanks so much for sharing. I liked the fact that it is interactive and you can zoom in and out while moving about.